Overpayment Information

Frequently asked questions regarding overpayment information

I got a call from the department. Was this a scam?

You should always be very mindful of imposters representing themselves as being from the department. Keep in mind we do make phone calls so receiving a  phone call from the department is not unusual. However, we will never ask for payment over the phone. We will never ask for your credit card information. We will never ask for your username or your password. You should never provide any of this information over the phone. When in doubt, hang up and call the unemployment hotline at (603) 271-7700.

How do I enter into a payment agreement with the department?

In order to enter into a payment agreement please fill out a FINANCIAL AFFIDAVIT and email the completed document to collections@nhes.nh.gov. The department will then be in touch regarding your payment agreement. While your FINANCIAL AFFIDAVIT is pending, the department will not take any actions to collect your overpayment other than to offset future benefits. In addition,  any overpayments attributed to fraud or  failure to report earnings will be submitted for offset against your federal income tax refund.

You can fill in this form electronically using the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.

How do I request a waiver of my overpayment?

Only certain types of federal pandemic program overpaid benefits are eligible for waiver/forgiveness. If you have overpaid benefits that qualify for waiver/forgiveness then you will receive information from the department starting August 12th and will be presented with options on your claim dashboard. Click the link and follow the steps to submit a waiver request. If you do not see a link to request a waiver but have overpaid benefits from a federal pandemic program then you are not eligible for the federal waiver process because you were determined to be at fault in causing the overpaid benefits. Please review the determination that informed you about the overpaid benefits and follow the provided instructions on filing an appeal or entering into a payment agreement with the department.